Flossing with braces can be a tricky and complicated task, but this blog is here to help the task become a bit easier!
When you have braces, it is very important to floss at least once a day, if not more. In fact, it might even be more important to floss when you have braces than it is to floss when you don’t have braces. This is because your smile is more vulnerable to tooth decay and oral diseases while you have braces. If food gets stuck in your appliance, the bacteria will begin to damage your smile. So, to help you successfully floss your smile as often as possible, we recommend performing the following five flossing steps:
1. Take about 18 inches of floss and thread one end through the space between your teeth and the main wire of your appliance.
2. Use your thumbs and index fingers and gently slide the floss between your two teeth.
3. Scrape the floss against the sides of your teeth and remove the plaque and any other objects that are there. This technique will help you prevent tooth decay and gum disease in the future.
4. Once you have completely cleaned the space, pull the floss out from between your teeth and pull one end of the floss to bring the floss out from under the wire.
5. Repeat this process until your entire smile is clean. Please make sure to use a clean section of floss as you move from tooth to tooth.
Yes, this technique will likely take more time than your traditional flossing technique would, but it is definitely worth it. To help flossing become a bit easier, your orthodontist will give you the tools and advice you need to properly and easily clean your smile. Also, if you have any questions, we are more than happy to help you. So, call our office now and learn more about flossing with braces!