Are you currently going through your orthodontic treatment with braces? Well, it is extremely important to keep up with your daily oral hygiene routine. In order to have a strong and reliable oral health, orthodontists today recommend participating in an oral hygiene routine that includes the following steps:
1. Prepare to brush: Before you brush your teeth, make sure you remove all rubber bands and other attachable appliances from your mouth.
2. Brush: Brush your teeth with a strong and efficient toothbrush and make sure to thoroughly clean each tooth. Scrub around the brackets, wires, and pins of your braces, and remove any plaque, excess food, and debris by spending at least 10 seconds cleaning each tooth.
3. Floss: Flossing with braces can be a little tough, and orthodontists today understand, which is why they generally provide a flossing tool, like a floss threader, to make the job easier. When you floss your teeth, send one end of the floss up and through the space between the wire and your tooth. Then, gently press the floss between your teeth and rub each side, freeing any excess food that may be stuck.
4. Rinse: When you finish brushing and flossing your teeth, it is smart to rinse your mouth with fluoride or bacteria-killing mouthwash. Sip a small amount of rinse into your mouth, swish it around for about 40 seconds, and spit it into the sink when the time is up.
It is also important to avoid eating the following foods throughout your orthodontic treatment:
• Bubble Gum
• Foods that are hard to bite, like corn on the cob, bagels, and apples
• Foods that are chewy and sticky, like taffy and caramel
For more details on how to achieve a strong, reliable, healthy, and beautiful smile, we invite you to contact our orthodontic office today! We are thrilled to help you have the best oral health possible, and we look forward to working with you.